FALLING THROUGH LEAVES
I feel ~
Like a leaf
From the Tree of Life once sapped
Now snapped
Floating nowhere I know where
Blown by a cold wind
Not of my making
The boughs that once held me
Now soughing and aching
My heartwood is breaking.
I fall ~
Like a leaf
From the Tree of Promise once golden
Now olden
Sucked dry, brown and cracking
Drawn down by hard times
Into a forest of no rest
Where flaming and screaming
A future once seeming
Infinite
Becomes fodder for fungi.
I ponder ~
A leaf
From the Book of History once supple
Now stiffened
Whose pages though turned, reveal a past unlearned
And a future spurned
For fortunes unearned
By marauders and murderers.
And I wonder ~
As I leaf
Through the pages of my life
Seeing the bookmarks and notations
The exclamations and expectations
The marginalia and illustrations,
I ask myself,
Was I ever the subject of
My own life sentence?
Or was I rather someone else's predicate?
Keep it real!
Marilyn

I hear you. Feel the same.
ReplyDelete